Saturday 12 May 2018

Reported speech-some basic rules


Basic rules of reported speech

  We can report people’s speech in two main ways. We can, for example, give the exact       words spoken by them. This kind of structure is called ‘direct speech’.
  •  She said, ‘What do you want?’
  •  Sam asked, ‘Where are you going?’
  We can also make the speaker’s words part of our own sentence, using conjunctions and     changing pronouns and other words where necessary. This kind of reporting is called   ‘indirect speech’ or ‘reported speech’.
  •  She asked what I wanted.
  •  Sam asked me where I was going.
  Note that we cannot normally mix these two structures.

  Basic rules for indirect speech

  When words and thoughts are reported, there is usually a change of tenses, pronouns and    other words. These changes are mostly natural and logical.

  Change of pronouns

  A change of speaker may mean a change of pronoun. Study the following example.
  She said, ‘Where are you going?’ (Direct speech)
  She asked me where I was going. (Indirect speech)
  You may have noticed that the pronoun you in the direct speech changed to I in the       indirect speech. There are no exact rules regarding the change of pronouns. It all depends    upon the context.

  Change of ‘here and now’ words

  A change of place and time may mean changing words like here, this, now, today etc.       For example, here may become there in indirect speech; this may become thatnow may    become then.
  •  He said, ‘I got my report yesterday.’ (Direct speech)
  •  He said that he got his report the previous day. (Indirect speech)

  Change of tenses

  A change of time may mean a change of tense. So after past reporting verbs, the verbs of    the original speech are usually made more past.
  Simple present tense in the direct speech will become simple past tense in the indirect     speech. 
  Present continuous tense will become past continuous tense.
  Present perfect tense will become past perfect tense.
  Simple past tense will become past perfect tense
  Past continuous tense will become past perfect continuous tense. 

    
Reported Speech - Direct Speech and Indirect Speech
 Direct Speech
 Direct speech with quotation marks: "l learn at school."

 Reported Speech:
 Reported Speech: He said he worked in a bank.
 The tenses, word-order, pronouns are different from those in the direct   speech sentence.
 Direct SpeechReported Speech
 Jake says: "I bought some DVDs."Jake says that he bought some DVDs.

 Introduction Simple Present - English

 Direct SpeechReported Speech
 Susan saysI want an ice-     cream.Susan says that she wants an ice-cream.

  Reported Speech Speech: Change of tenses

 IntroductionTenses Direct SpeechTenses Reported Speech
 Ann said:want ice-cream.Ann said that she wanted ice-cream.
 Simple PastSimple PresentSimple Past
 Simple PastSimple Past
Present Perfect
Past Perfect
Past Perfect
 Simple Pastwillwould
 Reported Speech: 'to be'
 Simple Pastam/is/arewas/were
 Simple Pastwas/were
have/has been
had been
had been

 The Past Perfect Tense does not change in the Reported Speech.

 Questions - Reported Speech English

 Do you like Jake?
  She asked me if/whether I liked Jake.

  Questions with questions words-  Reported Speech

  “Who is your friend?”
  She asked me who my friend was.

  Commands Reported Speech - English

  “Sit down!” - The teacher told them to sit down.
  “Drink a lot of tea!” - He told us to drink a lot of tea.

  Changes - Reported Speech

  The tenses, word-order, pronouns are different from those in the direct     speech sentence.

  Change of pronouns - Change of place and time - Reported Speech

 Direct SpeechReported Speech
(Reported speech)
 Change of pronounsI
We
my
your
our
me
us
⇒ he/she
⇒ they
⇒ his/her
⇒ my
⇒ their
⇒ him/her
⇒ them
 Change of place and   timehere
today
this morning
yesterday
tomorrow
next week
next month
⇒ there
⇒ that day
⇒ that
 morning
⇒ the day before
⇒ the next day
⇒ the following week
⇒ the following month


TenseDirect SpeechReported Speech
 simple   present I like ice creamShe said (that) she liked ice cream.
 present   continuousI am living in LondonShe said (that) she was living in London.
 simple   past I bought a carShe said (that) she had bought a car OR She said (that) she bought a car.
 past   continuousI was walking along the streetShe said (that) she had been walking along the street.
 present   perfectI haven't seen JulieShe said (that) she hadn't seen Julie.
 past   perfect*I had taken English lessons beforeShe said (that) she had taken English lessons before.
 willI'll see you laterShe said (that) she would see me later.
 would*I would help, but..”She said (that) she would help but...
  canI can speak perfect EnglishShe said (that) she could speak perfect English.
  could*I could swim when I was fourShe said (that) she could swim when she was four.
  shallI shall come laterShe said (that) she would come later.
  should*I should call my motherShe said (that) she should call her mother
  might*I might be lateShe said (that) she might be late
 mustI must study at the weekendShe said (that) she must study at the weekend OR She said she had to study at the weekend
  * doesn't change.
 The direct question is the present simple of 'be'. We make the question form    of the present simple of be by inverting (changing the position of)the subject    and verb. So, we need to change them back before putting the verb into the    past simple.
  Here are some more examples:
Direct QuestionReported Question
  Where is the Post Office,     please?She asked me where the Post Office was.
  What are you doing?She asked me what I was doing.
  Who was that fantastic man?She asked me who that fantastic man had been.

  So much for 'wh' questions. But, what if you need to report a 'yes / no'       question? We don't have any question words to help us. Instead, we use 'if':
  • Direct speech: Do you like chocolate?
  • Reported speech: She asked me if I liked chocolate.
  No problem? Here are a few more examples:
   Direct QuestionReported Question
  Do you hate me?He asked me if I hated him.
  Have you ever been to Mexico?She asked me if I had ever been to Mexico.
   Are you living here?She asked me if I was living here.

    Reported Requests
  There's more! What if someone asks you to do something (in a polite way)?    For example:
  • Direct speech: Close the window, please
  • Or: Could you close the window please?
  • Or: Would you mind closing the window please?
  All of these requests mean the same thing, so we don't need to report every     word when we tell another person about it. We simply use 'ask me + to +     infinitive':
  • Reported speech: She asked me to close the window.
  Here are a few more examples: 
  Direct RequestReported Request
  Please help me.She requested me to help her.
  Please don't smoke.She requested me not to smoke.
  Could you bring my book tonight?She asked me to bring her book that night.
  Could you pass the milk, please?She asked me to pass the milk.
  Would you mind coming early     tomorrow?She asked me to come early the next day.
   To report a negative request, use 'not':
  • Direct speech: Please don't be late.
  • Reported speech: She requested us not to be late.
   Reported Orders
  And finally, how about if someone doesn't ask so politely? We can call this     an 'order' in English, when someone tells you very directly to do something.    For example:
  • Direct speech: Sit down!
  In fact, we make this into reported speech in the same way as a request.     We just use 'tell' instead of 'ask':
  • Reported speech: She told me to sit down.
Direct OrderReported Order
Go to bed!He told the child to go to bed.
Don't worry!He told her not to worry.
Be on time!He told me to be on time.
Don't smoke!He told us not to smoke 

   Time Expressions with Reported Speech

  Sometimes when we change direct speech into reported speech we have to    change time expressions too. We don't always have to do this, however. It     depends on when we heard the direct speech and when we say the     reported  speech.

  For example:

   It's Monday. Julie says "I'm leaving today".

   If I tell someone on Monday, I say "Julie said she was leaving today".
   If I tell someone on Tuesday, I say "Julie said she was leaving yesterday".
   If I tell someone on Wednesday, I say "Julie said she was leaving on     Monday".
   If I tell someone a month later, I say "Julie said she was leaving that day".

   So, there's no easy conversion. You really have to think about when the     direct speech was said.

   Here's a table of some possible conversions:
nowthen / at that time
todaythat day 
yesterdaythe day before / the previous day 
last nightthe night before, previous night
last weekthe week before / the previous week
tomorrowthe next day / the following day
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment